City of Stockton and California Water Company (Cal Water) provide water service in the city of Stockton.
- The City provides sewer and stormwater services throughout the City.
- Republic or Waste Management provides garbage and recycling services (solid waste) through a franchise agreement with the City.
City of Stockton Water Service Area
In the City's water service area, residential customers receive bills for water, sewer, stormwater, garbage and recycling on a unified bill. Commercial and industrial customers receive a bill from the City for sewer (wastewater) and stormwater, and a solid waste bill directly from the provider.
- Utility accounts for addresses in the City of Stockton water service area are set up for either property owners or the legal tenants.
- Application for service is required for each address.
- Have proof of ownership or a copy of rental/lease agreement ready, plus:
- Valid government issued ID,
- Phone numbers, and
- Employment information.
- For residential services, a previous address for each adult resident of the property is required.
- Any outstanding charges owed to the City – plus any required fees, charges and deposits – by any adult resident of the premises must be paid before an application can be approved.
- Fill out a Request to Start Application.
- Services will be provided on the next business day following approval of completed application.
- Property Owners/Managers: To create a standing request to automatically activate utility services in the owner's name when a tenant discontinues services, visit Landlord Service Agreement page and submit a Landlord Service Agreement Form.
Owner Certification of Tenant Move Out - City Water Service Area Only
Certification of Tenant Move Out form only needs to be completed at the request of a Utility Billing customer service representative or collector.
Unsure if this form is required? Contact a customer service representatives from our Contact Us page. Follow-up may be required prior to activation of services.
Cal Water Service Area
If your address is located in the California Water Company (Cal Water) service area:
- Cal Water sends a bill for water service.
- City sends a bill for sewer and stormwater; residential bills include garbage and recycling.
- Commercial and industrial customers receive a bill for sewer and stormwater from the City and a bill for solid waste (garbage and recycling) directly from the hauler/service provider.
- At no time will utilities be provided to any property or person free of charge.
- Garbage and recycling collection service is mandatory.
- Property owners are responsible for notifying the City when property ownership changes.
Changes to Utility Billing - Owner-only Billing
Starting March 7, 2019, City utility bills that do not include City water service (non-water accounts) will begin the conversion to property owner-only billed accounts:
- All new accounts will be owner-only billed.
- Existing accounts billed to tenants can be converted upon request of the property owner or authorized property manager/agent.
- When tenant accounts are closed, new accounts will be opened as owner-only accounts.
- All existing tenant-billed accounts will be converted to owner-only accounts by 2021.
New accounts - Owner-only Billing
- Property owner of record must be the account holder.
- Property owner can request bills mailed care-of tenant or sent to any other address.
- Property owner is responsible for payment.
Existing Tenant Accounts
- Tenant is responsible for all charges billed in the tenant's name.
- Property owner is not responsible for delinquent service charges and penalties billed in the tenant's name.
- Change to owner-only billing is initiated upon owner request or when the City converts to an owner account.
Closed Tenant Accounts and Billing Address
- Tenant is responsible for all charges billed to the tenant as the account holder.
- Property owner is not responsible for charges billed to the tenant account holder.
- Owner-only accounts will be started when tenant accounts are stopped.
When tenant accounts are closed, a new account will be opened in the name of the property owner of record.
- Nill will be mailed to the address on the San Joaquin County tax roll until/unless the property owner or authorized manager/agent requests a change in the mailing address.
- Property owner is responsible for all owner-only account charges, regardless of the mailing address.
For questions, please contact Utility Billing Customer Service.
California Water Company
This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 3/11/2019